Makes two pies.
Step 1: Select pumpkin or winter squash and wash, cut in half and remove seeds. Bake in oven at 350 for 45-90 minutes until soft. Let cool.
Step 2: Scoop out the cooked pumpkin, and drain if too watery.
Step 3: Make the pie crusts. You’ll need:
- 2 cups Nash’s soft white wheat flour
- 2 sticks butter, sliced and frozen
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 3-5 tablespoons ice-cold water
In food processor add flour, salt and butter and pulse until mixed. Add 1 tablespoon ice-cold water at a time until a ball forms. Take care not to let the dough get too wet or to overwork it. Separate dough into 2 balls and cover and refrigerate until ready to roll out crust. If you don’t own a food processor, no worries. You can do the crust by hand with a pastry cutter or fork.
Roll dough ball out on a floured surface to fit your pan, about a 12″ circle for a 9″ pie pan. Place rolled dough over a buttered pie dish and press in, crimp or flute edge.
Step 6: Make the filling. You’ll need:
- 1 cup sugar (1 1/4 cup honey may be substituted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- (or 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice instead of above spices)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups cooked pumpkin or winter squash
- 12 ounces liquid, such as local Dungeness Valley Creamery milk, canned evaporated milk, or milk substitutes such as coconut milk or almond milk
Mix all filling ingredients well in hand mixer or blender.
Step 7: Fill the crust. You may choose to parbake the crusts for 3 minutes before filling. Pour filling into crust from 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the top. Bake at 425 F for the first 15 minutes then turn down to 350 F and bake another 45 to 60 minutes, until a blunt knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 8: Let cool and enjoy! Ideas for excess filling: make french toast, muffins, or bake without a crust. You may choose to save the pumpkin seeds for planting next year or to roast in the oven for a snack.